Saturday, February 29, 2020

Altan!

Being one who prefers participating rather than observing, I do not attend many concerts - or movies, for that matter - but a few weeks ago I heard that Altan would be at the Somerville Theater, so I thought I would make a weekend for myself in Boston, a weekend that would include the concert, a session at Bunratty, and Mass at St Paul's; a trifecta - my favorite combination of music, photography, and church. (and who knows what other surprises lie in store, for, as I write this on Saturday morning, the weekend is still young).
And yes, the concert was great, as I knew it would be - high energy combined with well seasoned Irish talent, all made slightly more poignant and appreciated, perhaps - at least from this bouzouki player's perspective - by the fact that Ciaran Curran's cherished bouzouki, having been misplaced erroneously by Aer Lingus and heartbreakingly missing for two weeks, had recently been found. While all the music was superb, I especially enjoyed Ciaran's subtle countermelodies and understated backing. Lovely altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment