Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

This week I took a vacation from my Monday and Tuesday job down on the island so I was able to attend one of my favorite sessions, Monday night at the Greenbriar: Slow session from 7-9; big boy session from 9-11 (or so).

Last night Brian's grandpa Frank was the star of the evening - well, even more so than usual, since it was his 85th birthday. A number of family members were on hand, including Brian (natch), and Brian's brother Brendan and sister Siobhan; his Aunt Mary and her son Andrew, and Frank's wife - whose name may be Kathleen because Frank sang I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen - but I'm not sure (this just in: yes, grandma's name is Kathleen - I'm a genius). One thing I need to start doing is pay more attention to names. I love Brian's family - his is just the kind of family I have always wished I came from - and it's being surrounded by these families, and being a part of the session family at large that is the most fantastic thing about this music; thank God for these people and this music.

I used a combination of the 40D with 50mm/1.4 (good for low light, though with its shallow depth of field and narrow view due to small sensor it functions more as a telephoto lens, so is a bit limited for indoor/small spaces, but works if I can work the room), and the G12. The G12 is pretty decent for low light, and gives me a wider angle, also HD video. I am learning a lot as I go along, both about shooting in these low light situations, as well as post-processing. There's also the issue of being torn between wanting to play the music and take photos. I wonder, sometimes, how people feel about my camera(s), but I noticed last night there were many cameras in the house. I think that eventually everyone will be accustomed to the fact that I often have a camera with me.  

Enough chit-chat.


Above, Frank sings I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen, to his bride, Kathleen; also, the Birthday Song, by the Company.












Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Frank reacts to being sung to by the slow session crowd.





Greenbriar, January 3, 2011Jack sang a rousing song that had us knocking on tables and shouting, "McIntyre!"

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
My friend Bob Brogan whom I've known since the 80's on the island - we were mere kids - when he was a crew member of the Shenandoah and playing his fiddle at the local ag fair fiddle contest.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Kathleen and Frank  (sorry for shallow depth of field).

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Larry Reynolds and Tara - dynamic duo.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Brian, with his grandma and grandpa. 

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
The lovebirds.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Brian, Andrew, Grandma, Brendan, and Grandpa.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Mary sings for her parents.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Terry, Larry, and Tara provide back-up.

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Tony and Bill

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Jimmy Marshall

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
 
Delia, listening to her husband singing a rollicking version of 
Maids When You're Young Never Marry an Old Man: 
For he's got no faloodorum, fadidle di dorum
For he's got no faloodoorum, fadidle day
He's got no faloorum,he's lost his ding dorum
So maids when you're young, never wed an old man

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
 
Kathleen's secret to living a long and healthy life is "to keep moving, never stop."

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011
Bob Brogan
Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011


Greenbriar, January 3, 2011








Greenbriar, January 3, 2011







Greenbriar, January 3, 2011








Greenbriar, January 3, 2011







Greenbriar, January 3, 2011







Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

                                                                           




Greenbriar, January 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment